Laboratory of Applied Mathematics and Statistics
Members of the Applied Mathematics and Statistics Laboratory (LUMS) teach mathematics courses at the first cycle academic and professional degree programmes, as well as at the second and third cycle postgraduate degree programmes at the Faculty of Electrical Engineering, University of Ljubljana.
The research activities of the members of the laboratory cover various areas of mathematics:
- Mathematical modelling and simulation of real-world problems and processes (in science and engineering).
- Numerical methods in science and engineering (e.g. finite differences and finite elements).
- Statistical processing of data.
- Statistical methods for planning, monitoring and checking the quality of products and the production process.
- Developing (interdisciplinary) authentic problem-solving strategies and learning by inquiry.
- Developing critical, logical and algorithmic thinking.
- Algebraic structures and operators.
The main objectives of the Applied Mathematics Laboratory are to translate knowledge into practice and to apply mathematical methods and tools to solve problems in other research fields. The Laboratory already collaborates with several laboratories within the Faculty of Electrical Engineering (Laboratory of Biophysics, Laboratory of Artificial Sensing, Systems and Cybernetics, Laboratory of Bioelectromagnetics, Laboratory of Energy Strategies), as well as with research institutions outside the home faculty (Laboratory of Mathematical Methods in Computer Science and Informatics at the Faculty of Computer Science and Informatics of the University of Ljubljana, Institute of Mathematics, Physics and Mechanics, Jožef Stefan Institute).
To translate mathematical knowledge into practice, the laboratory is committed to working with the business sector. In recent years, members of the laboratory have been involved in applied projects with the following companies and other organisations: the Seaway Group, navtično podjetje, d.o.o., Uradni list RS, d.o.o., Peracto, d.o.o., Etris, d.o.o., Savatech, d.o.o., and the Kickboxing Association of Slovenia.
Major national and EU projects:
- The NA-MA Routes project
- TIME - Teachers' Inquiry in Mathematics Education
- CTMT - Computational thinking and mathematical thinking: digital literacy in mathematics curricula
- MERIA - Mathematics Education: Relevant, Interesting and Applicable
The members of the laboratory are also involved in the popularisation of mathematics among young people and in the organisation of mathematical competitions(International Mathematical Olympiad, International Mathematical Kangaroo Competition, Mathematical Cheerleading, Logic).
MEMBERS OF THE LABORATORY
Phone: +386 1 476 8955
Higher education teacher
Phone: +386 1 476 8309
Higher education teacher
Phone: +386 1 476 8385
Phone: +386 1 476 8233
Phone: +386 1 476 8234